Friday, September 14, 2012

How to run Power PC applications on a 2012 Macbook Pro


How to run Power PC applications on a 2012 Macbook Pro


After purchasing my new Macbook Pro Mid 2012, I realized how many applications that I owned no longer run. 

Some have data that can be imported into newer products such as:


Appleworks word processing to Pages
Appleworks spreadsheets to Numbers
Quicken now has an fix to allow you to use old Quicken Data 
Filemaker Pro to Bento (not everything)

I knew there had to be a better way!

After a lot of research, I found out that you could open Snow Leopard in a virtual window using Parallels Desktop using Lion. You had to modify Parallels to trick it into believing it was the server version. I found an easier way:

I purchased:

Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac OEM (32-714-025) for $28 from NewEgg.com 

Bought a Mac OS X Server Version 10.6.3 from Apple (it is being discontinued) for $19    Unlimited Client version
The Apple “Genius” told me it wouldn’t work since the new Macbook needed drivers for the USB 3 and new processor......

but.....


It does! 

Create a .dmg file copy of the Mac OS X Server and ejected DVD

Ran Parallels Desktop 7 and created a new virtual Machine Named Snow Leopard.

Installed Mac OS X Server .DMG file when it asked for Windows

..... and 30 minutes later VOILA!!!!


Everything I try to run does:
Appleworks
FileMaker 7
Quicken 7
Photoshop CS3
Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional
MacTheRipper
ISquint


.........and much more


Some issues with Parallels so far....

I haven’t been able to get it to recognize the SD card slot natively.

Some reference:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1365439

http://osxdaily.com/2011/11/17/install-run-mac-os-x-10-6-snow-leopard-in-virtual-machine-on-lion/

http://forums.macworld.com/index.php?/topic/146444-snow-leopard-on-a-new-retina-display-macbook-pro-nuh-uh/page__st__28


http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/masterclass/?articleId=3332727

But I love having the option to keep using my legacy software!

No comments:

Post a Comment